SCREEN-L Archives

August 1991

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 1991 14:40:39 CDT
On Wed, 21 Aug 1991 13:00:46 TZONE <[log in to unmask]> said:
>Excuse my naivette, but what is/was the Kinko's decision. I
>probably came into this discussion late, but it seems there's
>been some recent change in copyright laws that I, a classroom
>teacher, know nothing about????
>
>      Anne Pemberton
>       Nottoway, VA
A quick sum:

Several publishers took Kinko's to task (and to court) for the course
packets they had been making up (professor-selected groups of articles).
Kinko's argued that they had just been making "fair use" of these
copyrighted materials.  The courts disagreed and now Kinko's must get
copyright permission for every single article they reproduce.

This is how I understand it, anyway.  Any corrections from others with
clearer memories?