SCREEN-L Archives

August 1991

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 1991 19:07:10 CDT
On Tue, 20 Aug 1991 12:44:00 MST Cindy Tobias said:
>>and a rather convoluted way of accessing the Library of Congress'
>>on-line catalogue.
>
>How do you access the Library of Congress catalog? Thanks, Cindy

I'm sure that others can answer this better than I (Tom was beginning to
in an earlier posting). The only way I know is to TELNET to an Internet
BBS in North Carolina and then snake your way through it to a Library of
Congress gateway.

It's been a while since I've done it.

TELNET is going to be the key here. If you've never used it you should
contact your computer brain trust and get them to explain it. (Each
mainframe operates differently.) But it's worth the effort. Using
TELNET you can access all kinds of libraries remotely.

Penn State, fr'instance, can be accessed (I'm told, haven't tried it
myself) by TELNETting to LIAS.PSU.EDU (which is an Internet address).
This is where Tom mentioned connectingwith the Library of Congress.

Has anybody out there tried this themselves?

      It takes an active sense of humor to survive in Big Tuna.
                               --WILD AT HEART

| | Bitnet : JBUTLER@UA1VM |
| Jeremy G. Butler - - - - - - - - - - | Internet : [log in to unmask] |
| | GEnie : J.BUTLER27 |
| |
| Telecommunication & Film Dept * The University of Alabama * Tuscaloosa |