SCREEN-L Archives

August 1991

From:
Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 1991 15:16:15 MST
On Tue, 20 Aug 1991 08:34:50 CDT Jeremy Butler said:
>What's been the actual affect this fall (and during the summer) on the
>distribution of reading materials?
   Well, this library, and hopefully others, have been making sure that
their staff follow law and policy. We don't allow more than one reserve
article per ten students (ooops, I mean more than one copy of the same
article per ten students). We have some profs who want to bring in as many
copies as there are estimated to be studnets in the class. Besides being
stupid overwork for our staff, and a blatant violation of law.....

>Personally, I've fallen back on the old reserve room system. I think it
>will hinder class discussions for students not to have the readings on
>their desks, but then many students (the reserve room here says it's as
>high as 90%) photocopy the materials on reserve.
  I would agree that the vast majority copy the stuff. That is their choice.
That is their (presumed) violation of law. The library is protected by
the legally required sign on or over the machine.

>What have other folks been doing? And has the US ruling affected
>Kinko's outside the US, like in Canada (assuming they exist outside the
>US)?
  See above. The US law doesn't affect the law in other countries, but
the laws in most countries are fairly similar. Don't know if Kinkos has
outlets in Canada, but I bet there are counterparts there and elsewhere.

    It is absolutely vital that we, as librarians and scholars and students,
support the laws in this area. They are for YOUR benefit if you are an
author. I may not always agree with some of the laws or their interpretations,
but I will sure as hell follow them. My job is on the line.

dan

* Dan Lester Bitnet: alileste@idbsu
* Associate University Librarian Internet: [log in to unmask]
* Boise State University
* Boise, Idaho 83725 You can be sure these ideas are my
* 208-385-1234 own; no one else would have them.