      From:     "Dana Cartwright, Syracuse Univ," <DECARTWR@SUVM>
      Subject:  Copyright

(2)   Date:     Sat, 27 Apr 91 16:13:07 -0400                 (73 lines)
      From:     Joel Goldfield <[log in to unmask]>
      Subject:  Copyright discussion

Date:         Sat, 27 Apr 91 15:32:10 LCL
From:         "Dana Cartwright, Syracuse Univ, 315-443-4504" <DECARTWR@SUVM>

Roy Flannagan raises the subject of copyright again.  On the one hand, it
has been discussed at length.  On the other, it is hardly a resolved
issue, and surely is important to all of us.

The US Congress is at present interested (again!) in this subject.  Last
year the Office of Technology Assessment (OTA, an arm of the US Congress
which studies technologies and reports to the Congress, with the intent
of having the members make informed decisions) was asked to study it in
the context of computer software...members of Congress being concerned
that the United States, once the dominant player in software, is losing
market share to other countries.  And the advent of the EC (1992) will
probably affect the software industry and markets in the US.

Among other things, OTA assembled a panel of interested people,
representing various segments of the industry.  About 1/3 of the members
are faculty or administrators from major US universities.  I happen to
be one such.

The panel has met twice (once last fall, once just a month or so ago).
OTA expects to issue a final report to Congress sometime this year.

The relevance of all this to Humanist members is unclear to me.
Certainly OTA is studying software rather than texts.  However, the
study has widened to include databases, including databases of texts.

I have found the past discussions on Humanist helpful, as they have
provided real-life examples of problems besetting scholars.  And the
international flavor of Humanist helps too, because copyright is an
international issue (this is very clear when speaking with the OTA staff
and with the Washington legal folks).

So one reason for carrying on discussion of copyright on Humanist is that
it does potentially influence, in some small way, what happens to us
all...