Date: Wed, 1 May 91 16:28:27 -0400
From: [log in to unmask] (Peter Wayner)
Subject: Dinesh D'Souza

I've read through most of D'Souza's book and I really find it
full of attempts to pull his punches and simply make very
mainstream, non-kneejerk arguments. He has many solid points
about the lack of scholarship in the land of multiculturalism.
There are thousand of examples of how people have distorted the
truth to make all of non-Europe seem like nirvana. The sad fact
is though, that no one is innocent. For instance, Egypt a country
from which Greece got some of its vaunted culture, was filled
with slaves.

This sort of left-wing Macarthyism can be quite a threat to the
university. Everyone knows the story of how the editors of the
King papers at Stanford sat on the story of King's plagarism for
as long as they did. They even non-denied denied it to the press.
Only when the WSJ threatened them with running the story with or
without their cooperation did the editors at Stanford "announce"
their discovery. This sort of behavior is a big
threat to the pursuit of truth and all that stuff. People may say
what they want about politics, but I think D'Souza is making many
good points about the threats to objectivity and reason.

Peter Wayner
Cornell Univ.