SCREEN-L Archives

April 1991

Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 91 08:39:00 +1200
Ours is a regional university serving 12 countries of the South Pacific,
some of which are amongst the poorest on earth. Some 2/3 of our students
study by distance education and we go to great pains to construct teaching
packages which can be delivered to people on remote atolls and islands. In
putting together a course on Children's Literature, we asked a great
variety of commercial publishers to wave copyright restrictions in order to
produce facsimile portions of their texts. Of all those we approached, only
one flatly refused permission--Walt Disney.

Andrew Horn
Head of the Department of Literature and Language
University of the South Pacific
Suva
FIJI