SCREEN-L Archives

April 1991

Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 91 15:04:00 EDT
        Fiona: I posted a message about MTV a couple of days ago, I
wonder if anyone got it????
In any case I will repeat what I said before.  Almost all music "videos"
are shot on film now-a-days.  There are a lot shooting in 35mm, some in
16mm, and a few in both.  There are the occaisional "videos" that are shot
on video, and the effect is they look low budget.  In the early 80's, most
were shot on video, and they looked fine then.  When one of those videos
is shown, people think that they look "cheasy".  The reason for this is
that we now expect "videos" to be shot on film, and when they aren't, they
look bad to us.  Some examples of video "videos" are Ashes to Ashes by
David Bowie and Bark at the Moon by Ozzie Ozbourne.  "Videos" shot on 16mm
are She Blinded Me With Science by Thomas Dolby and Every Little Thing She
Does is Magic by the Police.  Some examples of 35mm videos are Pump up the
Jam by Technotronic(?) and Everybody Dance Now by CC and the Music Factory.
I can only come up with a few shot in 35mm and 16mm.  Sweet Child O' Mine
by Guns and Roses and Her Way of Praying by The Jesus and Mary Chain.
Now that I think about it, I don't know if it was pump up the jam that
was on 35mm.  I seem to remember them shooting their first on video and
the next on 35mm...maybe they'res someone out there who can set me straight.
eyes