SCREEN-L Archives

April 1991

From:
Bjorn Sorenssen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 91 11:17:40 +0200
I have been noticing the controversy about the bulkpack practice
(Kinko's) in the U.S. with considerable interest. To be honest,
I have been surprised that this kind of practice has been allowed
to go on for such a long time.
In Norway, where I teach film, we have an organization overseeing
the use of copyrighted material, and the rules have been
considerably sharpened over the last few years.
As of present we are allowed to make our own coursepacks from
copyrighted material *provided* we 1.) do not copy more than
15% from a book 2.) have written permission from the copyright
holder i case we want to copy more than 15%.
The editor of the coursepack has to report the exact number
of pages copied, as well as the number of copies. On the
background of these reports, the universities are billed by
the organization NORCOPY. These funds are then partly re-
allocated to the original copyholder's home country copyright
organizations - and for a fund for Norwegian textbook authors.
Being as dependent on foreign textbooks (mostly
English and American) as we are, this is, of course,
a bit of a hassle, but we have found we can live
with it, and it also has lightened our conscience a
bit.
Another positive side effect is that we now really
have to *think* before we copy. ("Do I really need
this?") And as a Norwegian textbook author the system
guarantees me travel grants and other economical
benefits.