SCREEN-L Archives

March 1991

Date:
Sat, 30 Mar 91 18:53:55 -0500
Kathy

I think that this situation is interesting - it may be that documentary
films are not 'in vouge' as you mention.  But I am a visual arts/art
history student in Alberta and one of the topics of our discussions
has been that documentary films programs have the ability to present
only one side of the story and some people have been able to use this
medium similar to a form of propoganda.  I think this argument is too
general but I believe that this sort of thinking has caused people to
question the 'truthfulness' (for lack of a better term) of documentary
film (as well as all mediums) or maybe keep in mind that this 'is'
(documentary films etc.) only one view or approach to a subject.

I have seen some great doc. films lately and I think that this is a
powerful and important medium (when used correctly).  I am glad to
see that you are sticking with this medium - I was not awareof this
sort of situation (is it particular to Canada?)

By the way when/where is this student film festival?

-good luck on your film making

David Clearwater
Department of Fine Arts
University of Lethbridge