SCREEN-L Archives

March 1991

Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 91 22:06:48 -0500
Jeremy

The topic of copyright has come up in a recent art history course of
mine.  In Canada the unauthorized use of slides of artwork in the
classroom is, as I understand it, becoming a hot issue.  I have
heard that the United States has a law (Academic Usage Law??) which
allows the use of any material in an academic situation to be legal.
Is this true?

Unfortunately, in Canada we do not have a similar law.  Therefore, the
unauthorized use (ie. anything that was not purchased, and can later be
proven by reciepts) "is strictly prohibited".  My professor gave an
example:

'... even the writing of a contempoary poem on a grade five black-
board is illegal (in Canada)'.

As to the situations concerning rented material, I do not know but I
will look into it and try to get back to you.

I am far from an expert on this issue, but 'copyright' is becoming a
heated issue in Canada.  (I have also heard that some group is trying
to make it mandatory for Canadian libraries to pay those who hold
a copyright to a book, for example, to pay a user's fee 'every' time
that book is signed out)

david
      [if anyone can shed more light on this situation in Canada, or
if anyone can correct me on anything I've said - the help would be
appreciated]