SCREEN-L Archives

March 1991

From:
Ken Nagelberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 91 14:54:16 CST
    Another sensitive subject!!!  No, I would NOT recommend getting an M.A.
in television production.  I guess I'm an academic elitist when it comes to
graduate degree programs.  I think an M.A. or a Ph.D. is a research degree
and not one which prepares for a profession other than academia.  There are
a few exceptions, but they are professional degrees and should correctly be
labeled M.F.A. and not M.A.  I don't know of many in television production
(maybe Syracuse and a couple of the art school type programs).  We've had
a number of people of late coming through our Master's in Journalism here at
L.S.U. hoping to prepare themselves for a career.  Typically, they're people
with B.A.s in non-career programs like English, History, Philosophy.  To them
and others I say go and get a second bachelor's degree in Journalism (or
Radio-TV-Film or whatever).