SCREEN-L Archives

March 1991

Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 91 12:58:30 CST
Not to be too much of a pain to someone who doesn't need it much,

> SCREEN-L is also not for the discussion of the politics of flaming.
> Please do not post messages here about the pluses and minuses of
> flaming.  Let's move on, please, to the intended purpose of SCREEN-L:  the
> lively (but not rude or hurtful) dicussion of film/TV studies.
>
> Jeremy Butler
> SCREEN-L Coordinator

While I certainly don't advocate Fiona's silly "experiment" (I mean,
we managed to get into another contentious debate on "jargon" without her),
I do think that this fledgling list needs to think about the politics of
flaming.  It's nice to think that we can get along real polite-like and
not have disagreements, but this medium, depended on reading, is prone to
unintened interpretations, slips, and such; as well, I happen to think
that there are issues and comments that come up on every list that deserve
an extreme response (like calling feminists "proto-nazis" on CINEMA-L).

So while I agree with the spirit of your note, Jeremy, I do think that
the coordinator of a list should promote discussion of the problems on
that list.  It'll all die down when the list gets going, but for now I
think it's really important.