SCREEN-L Archives

March 1991

From:
"Curt J. Sampson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 91 18:19:50 GMT
> I say if you can't say it simply, something is probably fishy.

I strongly disagree. *Nothing* is said simply. If you examine the
assumptions behind something that seems simple you'll find a complex
and tangled nest of them. It's very easy for somebody who's been
a part of a certain society/culture to understand certain phrases
and ideas within a culture that would be obscure or even meaningless
outside of it. If somebody from China asks you what MTV is, and
you tell them "it's just a television station that plays music" you
are certainly not describing it adequately. Is MTV the same as a CBC
broadcast of a Verdi opera? Can you ignore the cultural assumptions
behind MTV, such as the nature of pop music and television viewing
habits in our society?

Let's face it: television is more than a "box that shows images." It
is inextricably linked with our cultural mores and attitudes. A
"simple" discussion of it is just making use of unstated assumptions.

cjs
--
                        | "It is actually a feature of UUCP that the map of
[log in to unmask] | all systems in the network is not known anywhere."
[log in to unmask] | --Berkeley Mail Reference Manual (Kurt Schoens)