SCREEN-L Archives

March 1991

From:
Ken Nagelberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 91 11:44:31 CST
    Thanks for the responses justifying continued study of filmmaking in
general and 16mm in particular. It proves to me how easy it is to get lost
in one's own world (for me, teaching students how to do broadcast news--which
is for a variety of reasons ›mostly economic| a world of electronic audio and
video recording). There may be an analogy here to the discussion of jargon
particularly as it relates to Marxism/cultural studies. It's easy to get lost
in the language of your particular approach and assume that everyone else
shares (or at least ought to share) that jargon. It's also easy to feel
"left out" of the discussion if you don't know what terms mean. I remember
the first time someone used the term "problematic" as a noun in a grad.
seminar. I thought maybe it was an invented word used to describe a cranky
automobile transmission!