SCREEN-L Archives

February 2022, Week 1

From:
Maria San Filippo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2022 00:47:13 -0500
*apologies for cross-posting*

Dear Colleagues,

It is our pleasure to announce the publication of our (expanded!) volume
19, issue 4, featuring these articles:

Outside and Inside the Time Machines: Structure and Subjectivity in Alain
Resnais's *Je t'aime, je t'aime*

*Jackson B. Smith*

Commodity Horror: *Videodrome *and the Industrialisation of Canadian Culture

*Harry Warwick*

What Is Not Real Can Be Felt into Being: Affective Threat in Jordan
Peele’s *Get
Out*

*Emma Train*

From the Extraordinary to the Everyday: Discourses on American Quality
Serial Television in Sweden’s Leading Newspapers and the Breakthrough of
Streaming TV

[Open Access]

*Joel Frykholm*

Hidden in Plain Sight: The Spatial and Industrial Logics of Home Fitness
Technologies

*Peter Arne Johnson*

*First Prize, 2021 Society for Cinema and Media Studies TV SIG Graduate
Essay Contest*

“Englishmen Could Be Proud Then, George”: Echoes of Empire in *Tinker
Tailor Soldier Spy* (BBC 1979) [Open Access]

*Philip Kiszely*

The Filmmaker’s Presence in French Contemporary Autofiction: from
*Filmeur/Filmeuse* to *Acteur/Actrice*

*Lourdes Monterrubio Ibañez*

No Longer “As Crappy as Possible”?: Cult Sensibilities and the
High-Definition Revisioning and “Unbleeping” of Early Seasons of *South
Park*

*David McGowan*

See the Table of Contents for article abstracts, as well as new book
reviews by Tom Fallows, Mani Sharpe, and Surya Prakash Verma:

https://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rfts20/current

We’re also delighted to announce the winners (in a tie) of the 2021 SCMS
Queer & Trans Caucus Chris Holmlund Graduate Student Writing Prize:

*Joshua Bastian Cole *(PhD candidate, Performing & Media Arts, Cornell
University), “The Prosthetic Gaze: Re-visions on the Trans Mirror Scene”

*Sean Donovan *(PhD candidate, Film, Television, & Media, University of
Michigan), “In the Corporate Rainbow: OutFest and the Politics of
Programming Queer Affect”

Both winning articles will be published in the Summer 2022 issue.
Congratulations to the winners and thanks to our co-sponsors the SCMS Queer
and Trans Caucus and to all who submitted.

Also enjoy these latest contributions to the *NRFTS* blog:

Dominic Lash, Failures of Redescription in *The Rules of the Game*

https://nrftsjournal.org/failures-of-redescription/

Philip Kiszely, Chasing Down Melancholia: Some Reflections on Writing about
the Treatment of Empire in *Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy* (1979)

https://nrftsjournal.org/chasing-down-melancholia/

David McGowan, “The Pandemic Special”: *South Park*’s Response to Covid

https://nrftsjournal.org/the-pandemic-special/

Cinta Pelejà, On *The Process Genre*: An Interview with Salomé Aguilera
Skvirsky

https://nrftsjournal.org/on-the-process-genre/

Vik Verplanken, Cinema and Subversion: Exploring the Ontologically
Subversive Potential of Psychedelic Cinema

https://nrftsjournal.org/cinema-and-subversion/

Please bookmark the *NRFTS* Blog URL https://nrftsjournal.org/, and we
welcome your pitches/proposals for contributions at [log in to unmask]

And please save the date for our *NRFTS* Editors Meet ’n Greet at the 2022
SCMS Conference: *2:00-3:00 pm CT on Friday, April 1 *

More info, and Zoom link, to come!

For latest news and promotions, please follow us on Twitter @NRFTSJournal
<https://twitter.com/NRFTSJournal> and Instagram nrftsjournal
<https://www.instagram.com/nrftsjournal/>. We welcome article submissions
through our journal website (https://www.tandfonline.com/journals/rfts),
where guidelines for authors can be found.

Kind regards,

Maria San Filippo

Editor

--

*New Review of Film and Television Studies
<https://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rfts20/current>*

https://listserv.ua.edu/archives/screen-l.html