SCREEN-L Archives

November 2020, Week 4

From:
Leshu Torchin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Nov 2020 07:21:30 -0600
St Andrews Centre for Screen Cultures Playlist Initiative: Queer Cinema from Mainland China

It's (*I've) been a bit slow but Playlist Initiative is still happening!

Today, I'm delighted to offer 'Queer Cinema from Mainland China' from Dr Hongwei Bao (Nottingham). It's a wonderful list of films produced and/or circulated in the People's Republic of China that centre on queer people’s lives, or films in which queer people’s stories are central to the film narrative, regardless of the gender and sexual identities of the filmmakers and the target audience.

https://screenculture.wp.st-andrews.ac.uk/2020/11/19/themed-playlist-queer-cinema-from-mainland-china/

And from the vault, the still timely (even as we come to the end of Trans Awareness Week, it's always time for Trans Awareness):

Andrew Robbins's (University of Oregon) 'Behind the Camera and Onscreen: Trans* Lives Reimagined'

https://screenculture.wp.st-andrews.ac.uk/2020/10/16/themed-playlist-behind-the-camera-and-onscreen-trans-lives-reimagined/ (with a shoutout to the Transgender Media Portal: https://www.transgendermediaportal.org)

And because Philadelphia has been so close to the hearts and minds of a world on edge, a callback to Jeff Scheible's (KCL) 'Black Lives in Philadelphia'. (Note, there’s also a link to opportunities to purchase the previously Eason by Kevin Jerome Everson on a DVD that includes an essay by Elena Gorfinkel— who may or may not like my lists).

 https://screenculture.wp.st-andrews.ac.uk/2020/07/01/themed-playlist-black-lives-in-philadelphia/.

You can find the collection here: https://screenculture.wp.st-andrews.ac.uk/category/media-playlists/

And as always, a pitch for contributors: This initiative draws on the expertise and passions of films studies scholars and media practitioners to help people navigate the surfeit of options online and to think about how they are interacting with what's out there. We are interested in posting relevant playlist content, especially as this might help students, friends, and colleagues understand the world and events around them. This is a radically inclusive project seeking to boost the work and voices of all of you-- no more will lists keep us limited.

Dr Leshu Torchin
Head of Department and Director of Research
Senior Lecturer in Film Studies
Department of Film Studies
University of St Andrews
101a North Street
St Andrews, UK
KY16 9AD
Tel: 44 (0) 1334 467 476

Pronouns: she | her | hers

Staff Profile: https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/film-studies/people/lt40

Consider perusing and/or contributing to the Themed Playlist Initiative:
https://screenculture.wp.st-andrews.ac.uk/category/media-playlists/

The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland, No. SC013532

----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://screenlex.org