SCREEN-L Archives

April 2020, Week 2

From:
Rachel Shand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Apr 2020 15:18:06 +0000
Dear SCREEN-L Subscribers,

We would like to announce a new publication from Fordham University Press, which we hope will be of interest.

Expanded Cinema
Fiftieth Anniversary Edition
Gene Youngblood
Introduction by R. Buckminster Fuller

https://www.combinedacademic.co.uk/9780823287413/expanded-cinema/

Receive a 20% discount online:
CSLS2020

“I’ve never had an experience with a book like I had with Expanded Cinema. Gene Youngblood saw something nobody else saw and extrapolated it twenty iterations forward. I’m just completely amazed, every time, to realize how prescient he was.”—Bill Viola
“Gene Youngblood didn’t just capture the zeitgeist of his generation. He was the zeitgeist of his generation.”—Greg Palast, author of The Best Democracy Money Can Buy
“Gene Youngblood is the medium’s Thomas Jefferson. The man who wrote our Declaration of Independence, who marked out a vision of media and democracy that remains an invaluable guide to media culture and a document of extraordinary vision and prophecy.”—Bruce Jenkins, School of the Art Institute of Chicago
“Youngblood’s Expanded Cinema stands as one of the classics of the interdisciplinary field that studies media, art, and science.”—Jussi Parikka, Winchester School of Art
“Expanded Cinema is one of the most prescient books written about our modern age.”—Chrissie Iles, Whitney Museum of American Art
“Expanded Cinema defined the world of what is now known as media arts.”—Alvy Ray Smith, co-founder of Pixar
Fiftieth anniversary reissue of the founding media studies book that helped establish media art as a cultural category.
First published in 1970, Gene Youngblood’s influential Expanded Cinema was the first serious treatment of video, computers, and holography as cinematic technologies. Long considered the bible for media artists, Youngblood’s insider account of 1960s counterculture and the birth of cybernetics remains a mainstay reference in today’s hypermediated digital world. This fiftieth anniversary edition includes a new Introduction by the author that offers conceptual tools for understanding the sociocultural and sociopolitical realities of our present world.
A unique eyewitness account of burgeoning experimental film and the birth of video art in the late 1960s, this far-ranging study traces the evolution of cinematic language to the end of fiction, drama, and realism. Vast in scope, its prescient formulations include “the paleocybernetic age,” “intermedia,” the “artist as design scientist,” the “artist as ecologist,” “synaesthetics and kinesthetics,” and “the technosphere: man/machine symbiosis.” Outstanding works are analyzed in detail. Methods of production are meticulously described, including interviews with artists and technologists of the period, such as Nam June Paik, Jordan Belson, Andy Warhol, Stan Brakhage, Carolee Schneemann, Stan VanDerBeek, Les Levine, and Frank Gillette. An inspiring Introduction by the celebrated polymath and designer R. Buckminster Fuller—a perfectly cut gem of countercultural thinking in itself—places Youngblood’s radical observations in comprehensive perspective.
Providing an unparalleled historical documentation, Expanded Cinema clarifies a chapter of countercultural history that is still not fully represented in the arthistorical record half a century later. The book will also inspire the current generation of artists working in ever-newer expansions of the cinematic environment and will prove invaluable to all who are concerned with the technologies that are reshaping the nature of human communication.
Gene Youngblood is a well-known theorist of electronic media arts and a respected scholar in the history and theory of experimental film and video art. He has split his career between teaching and journalism and is also widely known as a pioneering voice in the Media Democracy movement.
R. Buckminster Fuller was an architect, designer, inventor, social theorist, and the author of more than thirty books, including the legendary Operating Manual for Spaceship Earth.
With all best wishes,

Combined Academic Publishers

Fordham University Press | Meaning Systems | March 2020 | 464pp | 9780823287413 | PB | £26.99*
*Price subject to change