SCREEN-L Archives

March 2019, Week 3

From:
Joseph Tompkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2019 09:49:12 -0400
The latest issue of FILM CRITICISM is now online:
http://www.filmcriticismjournal.org/

Issue 43.1 includes the following articles:

Feature articles:
Repressing the Male Gaze? Sidney J. Furie’s The Leather Boys and the
Growing Pains of Post-War British Masculinity
<http://dx.doi.org/10.3998/fc.13761232.0043.101>Peter E. R. Jordan
Dermatology as Screenology: The Films of Lynne Ramsay
<http://dx.doi.org/10.3998/fc.13761232.0043.102>Raymond De Luca
“Our Common Community”: Third Way Cultural Work in Pleasantvilleand October
Sky <http://dx.doi.org/10.3998/fc.13761232.0043.103>Daniel Dufournaud
The Gentrification of John Waters
<http://dx.doi.org/10.3998/fc.13761232.0043.104>Nathan Koob
Editors' ContributionsWhen Slayer Met the Bangles: Détournement and Bill
McClintock’s Mashups <http://dx.doi.org/10.3998/fc.13761232.0043.401>Doyle
Greene

Film Festival Reviews
New York Film Festival 2018: Only Create!
<http://dx.doi.org/10.3998/fc.13761232.0042.323>Martha Nochimson

Film and TV Reviews
Cobra Kai: Franchise Generationality in the Contemporary Reboot
<http://dx.doi.org/10.3998/fc.13761232.0043.305>Anthony P. McIntyre
Roma: Another word for Amor <http://dx.doi.org/10.3998/fc.13761232.0043.304>J.
Henry ("Jim") Harrison
Book Reviews
Pooja Rangan, Immediations: The Humanitarian Impulse in Documentary (Duke
University Press, 2017) <http://dx.doi.org/10.3998/fc.13761232.0043.306>Kevin
Wynter
Jans B. Wager, Jazz and Cocktails: Rethinking Race and the Sound of Film
Noir (University of Texas Press, 2017)
<http://dx.doi.org/10.3998/fc.13761232.0043.307>Annie Berke
Blair Davis, Movie Comics: Page to Screen, Screen to Page (Rutgers
University Press, 2017) <http://dx.doi.org/10.3998/fc.13761232.0043.308>Phillip
Lamarr Cunningham

Call for Papers and more about FILM CRITICISM

We are currently seeking submissions on a rolling basis.

FC is a peer-reviewed publication now in its 40th year of continuous
publication, making it the third oldest academic film journal in the United
States.  Our aim is to bring together work in the field of film and media
studies that foregrounds textual criticism as a primary value. Our
readership is generally academic, but we strive to publish material that is
accessible to a broader popular audience.

While our title suggests a focus on film, we are equally interested in
articles that engage moving-image media of all forms, such as television or
online video. FC is also committed to developing criticism that derives
from a cultural studies tradition -- that is, criticism that situates media
texts in a political context and recognizes the role culture plays in
reproducing and maintaining social and power relations.

For more information about FC, please visit:

Website: http://allegheny.edu/filmcriticism

Email: [log in to unmask]

Facebook: www.facebook.com/fcjournal

Sincerely,
Co-editors: Joe Tompkins, Walter Metz, and Doyle Greene

--
<http://filmcriticism.allegheny.edu/>Assistant Professor of Communication
Arts

http://www.ScreenSite.org