SCREEN-L Archives

February 2019, Week 2

From:
Ramon Lobato <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2019 05:35:00 +0000
*apologies for cross-posting*

NETFLIX NATIONS: The Geography of Digital Distribution
Ramon Lobato | New York University Press, 2019

Free open-access version: http://openaccessbooks.nyupress.org/book/9781479804948/
Paperback (US$25): https://nyupress.org/books/9781479804948/

Television, once a broadcast medium, now also travels through our telephone lines, fiber optic cables, and wireless networks. It is delivered to viewers via apps, screens large and small, and media players of all kinds. In this unfamiliar environment, new global giants of television distribution are emerging -- including Netflix, the world's largest subscription video-on-demand service.

Combining media industry analysis with cultural theory, Ramon Lobato explores the political and policy tensions at the heart of the digital distribution revolution, tracing their longer history through our evolving understanding of media globalization. Netflix Nations considers the ways that subscription video-on-demand services, but most of all Netflix, have irrevocably changed the circulation of media content. It tells the story of how a global video portal interacts with national audiences, markets, and institutions, and what this means for how we understand global media in the internet age.

< Table of contents >

Introduction
What is Netflix?
Transnational Television: From Broadcast to Broadband
The Infrastructures of Streaming
Making Global Markets
Content, Catalogs, and Cultural Imperialism
The Proxy Wars
Conclusions

< Endorsements >

"In exploring how internet-distributed television services are reshaping the national boundaries of the industry, Lobato offers a cutting-edge study that advances our understanding of Netflix and cultural globalization and reconceptualizes the relationship between 'old' and 'new' media. Netflix Nations will change the way we think about infrastructure, globalization, power, and the television we know and love."  -- Amanda D. Lotz, author of The Television Will Be Revolutionized

"In this most valuable book, Lobato gives us a highly nuanced account of the global spread of Netflix that emphasizes how extraordinarily diverse are the infrastructural, policy, and consumption conditions within which it finds is place. The breadth of the research is impressive, and its insistence on a comparative approach across (at least) four continents brings a much-needed dimension to our understanding of the Netflix phenomenon." -- Graeme Turner, author of Re-Inventing the Media

Ramon Lobato is Senior Research Fellow in Media and Communication at RMIT University, Melbourne.

----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://www.screenlex.org