SCREEN-L Archives

June 2017, Week 3

From:
Carol Vernallis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2017 19:07:37 -0700
Dear Screen-L participants,

Many of our members study popular music. If you'd like to be in the loop
about what's happening with the Journal of Popular Music Studies, the
International Association for the Study of Popular Music, and Wiley
Publishing, see below.

The current president of IASPM-US, Steve Waksman, has released this
statement regarding its relationship to Wiley and the Journal of Popular
Music Studies:

For years now the relationship between Wiley, IASPM-US, and the editors of
Journal of Popular Music Studies has been strained. As a result, we are in
the process of terminating our relationship with Wiley and finding a new
publisher. Unfortunately, because of the stipulations of the contract we
have with Wiley, this will mean that we have to leave JPMS behind and begin
a new journal more or less from scratch.

Several weeks ago, the full editorial board of JPMS, including its two
current editors, Diane Pecknold and Oliver Wang, agreed to resign en masse.
We did so with the understanding that this would put us in a position of
strength as we conduct a search for a new publisher and work to establish a
new journal dedicated to popular music studies that will better serve the
membership of the organization and better reflect its intellectual mission.

Wiley has now begun to contact former editorial board members who have
already given notice of their resignation, trying to invite them back into
service with the journal. We are posting this announcement to make sure
that all IASPM-US members and members of the broader popular music studies
community understand the circumstances surrounding the status of JPMS. Any
inquiries can be directed to the current IASPM-US president, Steve
Waksman<mailto:[log in to unmask]>, or the two journal editors, Diane
Pecknold<mailto:[log in to unmask]>, and Oliver Wang<mailto:

Best wishes,

Carol Vernallis

----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://www.screenlex.org