SCREEN-L Archives

September 2016, Week 2

From:
TWN Distribution <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2016 14:57:51 -0400
*Third World Newsreel is pleased to announce the educational release
of NANA DIJO; IRRESOLUTE RADIOGRAPHY OF BLACK CONSCIOUSNESS. Filmmaker
Bocafloja is available for speaking engagements and will be presenting the
film in educational institutions in California, Arizona, Kansas and
Maryland this fall semester.*
*​*
*"A brilliant contribution in the analysis of the body of the oppressed."*
PEN World Voices Festival

*"NANA DIJO cultivated a pride of shared history that is so necessary to
effectively combat the theft of our identity and thus, our very right to
blossom with **dignity."*
Rosiangela Escamilla , English & Chicano/a Studies Professor , San Diego
City College

*"Thank you for introducing Bocafloja's work to us and other
writers/activists who have influenced us in the work that we are doing
which is empowering. The **importance of community building to combat this
oppressed system won't get done until we understand who we are."*
Joanie Lopez, San Diego City College student activist, MEChA president and
POTC

About the screenings, Bocafloja said: "Following each
screening, NANA DIJO opens up the possibility of relevant dialogue, debate
and critical analysis. As the director of the film, I have been part of
several Q&A's at colleges and universities that were crucial in the
establishment of really productive networks and agendas between students,
academics and community interested or involved in topics such as race,
identity and its politics."

For educational purchases and screenings, contact Third World Newsreel at (212)
947 9277 ext. 10 or visit twn.org. For more information about the film
tour, email Bocafloja at [log in to unmask]

*NANA DIJO; Irresolute Radiography of Black Consciousness (2016, 40 min)*
Navigating in a cultural industry flooded with politically conservative
projects about afro-descendency, with approaches that are fully
subordinated to the cultural hegemonies and with the only intention to
exoticize and not to empower the body of the oppressed, NANA DIJO emerges
as a solid effort to affirm the Black experience narratives in first person.

NANA DIJO is an urgent historical registry filmed in Mexico, Honduras,
Uruguay, Argentina and the United States, which opens a crucial platform of
analysis about race relations/politics by transgressing beyond the
parameters of "safe discourses" imposed by culturalist agendas. The
narrative sewed into NANA DIJO grows out from the body of the oppressed as
an auto-cartographic experience that trespasses the borders created by
nation-states.

NANA DIJO is the Black experience, often hidden in the colonized psyche,
which goes out for a walk each Sunday through the vernacular manifestations
of our elders.

NANA DIJO; IRRESOLUTE RADIOGRAPHY OF BLACK CONSCIOUSNESS is the first
documentary collaborative project by Bocafloja and Cambiowashere.

*UPCOMING EDUCATIONAL SCREENINGS*
9/20 Fullerton College - California
9/21 Grossmont College - California
9/22 Cal State LA - California
9/23 Mira Costa College - California
9/30 Arizona State University - Arizona
10/4 University of Maryland - Maryland
10/6 Chaffei College - California
10/29 Kansas University - Kansas

ORDER ONLINE AT TWN.ORG
<http://twn.org/catalog/pages/cpage.aspx?rec=1445&card=price>

WATCH TRAILER <http://youtu.be/F7gXtc1uPpM>

FOR INFO ABOUT THE TOUR, EMAIL [log in to unmask]

​Sincerely,
Roselly

Roselly Torres
Distribution & Marketing Director
Third World Newsreel
(212) 947-9277 ext. 17

To subscribe to our monthly newsletter, text TWN to 22828.

https://listserv.ua.edu/archives/screen-l.html