SCREEN-L Archives

July 2016, Week 5

From:
Diana DePasquale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jul 2016 07:55:19 -0500
Call for chapters in an edited, interdisciplinary collection of essays. Chapters will explore the intersection of social class, film, television, communication, social media, and other related topics (which might include income inequality, class warfare, social justice movements, gaming culture, among others). We are interested in portrayals from a range of media and genres: film, games, television, Twitter, YouTube, art, and more.
We encourage submissions from all disciplines. Topics of possible interest include:
• Depictions and understandings of demonstrations, political activism, online, and across media.
• Discourse of “class warfare” from news outlets and political rhetoric, The Tea Party, The 99%, Poor People's Movements
• Narratives using class hierarchy and income inequality in film: District 9 and The Dark Knight Rises
• Intersections of gender and class in Mad Max: Fury Road; The Dark Knight Rises, The Hunger Games, etc.
• Class and The Coming Apocalypse, AKA, Zombies: The Undead Proletariat in The Walking Dead
• Shaming the Poor in Reality TV: Here Comes Honey BooBoo, Pawn Stars, Hardcore Pawn
• Race, Place, Space, and Class: HBO’s Treme; “Black Twitter”
• Working Class Buffoons of Sitcoms: It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia; 2 Broke Girls; The Goldbergs
• The Great Unwashed:How the Media Frames Occupy Wall Street Activists and Demonstrators
• Satire: Larry David’s Bernie Sanders; The Daily Show; Multi-Millionaires for Mitt; The Clown Brigade; Adbusters
• Hashtag activism: ‪#‎WeArethe99‬%; ‪#‎BernieorBust‬
• The “Mancession”: Globalization and Gendered labor of the 21st century

To this end, we call for interested academics and independent researchers to submit a 500-word abstract to us by September 15, 2016. Authors will be notified if they are successful, by November 1, 2016. We will expect full papers (6,000 words, including references) by March 1, 2017.
For more information, please contact: Diana DePasquale at [log in to unmask]
http://www.ScreenSite.org