SCREEN-L Archives

June 2016, Week 3

From:
TWN Distribution <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jun 2016 12:09:35 -0400
*​​Free Streaming Access to Independent Films that Address Violence Against
LGBT Communities of Color - Until July 4th*

Anti-LGBT hate crimes continue to harm Queer communities in the United
States and the Orlando mass shooting is the latest horrific attack on Queer
people of color. To contribute to the national conversation on this tragic
event, Third World Newsreel will offer free streaming access to three
independent films that address violence against LGBT communities of color.

*DREAMS DEFERRED: THE SAKIA GUNN FILM PROJECT* tells the story of a high
school student who was fatally stabbed in a gay hate crime in New Jersey.
Directed by Charles B. Brack.

*PHOTOS OF ANGIE* documents the murder of Latina, transgender woman Angie
Zapata and the trial that followed. Angie Zapata’s case was the first time
the murder of a transgender person was successfully prosecuted under hate
crime laws in the United States. Directed by Alan Domínguez.

*THREE QUEER MICE* is an animation short film telling the stories of three
Queer youth who find themselves in a lot of trouble when their rights are
being violated. Made by SupaFriends, Daniel Feliciano, Amanda Moscoso,
Tatiana Lam Lo, Corina Leu & Alcides Torres. Produced by Global Action
Project.

Filmmakers and activist Charles B. Brack is honored to share his films with
the general public for the first time. Brack said, “The massacre in Orlando
was catastrophic. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their
loved ones. In our vigilance, we must be reminded that there are quiet
catastrophes daily. Look for anti violence projects in your area, and help
each other through this horrific time.  Our resilience cannot be
discounted.”

To watch DREAMS DEFERRED, visit: https://vimeo.com/171014535

To watch PHOTOS OF ANGIE, visit: https://vimeo.com/171009407

To watch THREE QUEER MICE, visit: https://youtu.be/056odn-1TZk

Please share on social media and tell your friends, family and colleagues
about all three films. The films will be available for free viewing until
July 4th, 2016.

​Sincerely,
Roselly

Roselly Torres