SCREEN-L Archives

July 2015, Week 1

From:
Adrian Danks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 2015 11:12:18 +1000
Can you please post this,

Cheers,

Adrian

Apologies for cross-posting.

I'd like to alert readers to my new edited collection, published by
Wiley-Blackwell last week:

*A Companion to Robert Altman*
edited by Adrian Danks
Hardcover 522 pages ISBN 978-1-118-28890-0
http://au.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-1118288904,subjectCd-CU02.html

There are also sections of the book available on Google Books, including
the Introduction. I hope you enjoy it and thanks again to all of the
wonderful contributors to the volume.

*A Companion to Robert Altman *presents a wide selection of essays covering
myriad perspectives on Altman's life, career, influence and historical
context. As one of the key figures in post-World War II American cinema,
Altman’s work represents an important bridge between Hollywood and
independent cinema, film and television, mainstream narrative and art
cinema, the movies and a range of other art forms. This book features 23
essays from a wide variety of experts in the field covering many of these
aspects and dimensions of Altman’s work including his extraordinary
deployment of various devices such as the zoom, multi-track sound recording
and the long take, his iconoclastic critical reputation, and his
representation of space and place, alongside many areas – such as his work
in industrial filmmaking and television; collaboration with actors and
writers; his influence on other filmmakers – that have been beyond the
scope of previous studies. It draws on a range of approaches to his work
that move beyond the traditional parameters of auteurist film criticism,
and represents the first truly extensive and expansive collection devoted
to Altman’s work.

"Robert Altman's rich and varied career is finally receiving its
well-deserved re-evaluation, thanks to Adrian Danks' lively, but thorough
Companion. The essays go a long way towards justifying Altman's outsider
status, reaffirming how the director's liberal politics may have not been
radical enough for the heady 1970s, but now shines as a beacon of grace,
wit and humanity."
- Thomas Elsaesser, University of Amsterdam

"Despite the reputation of his best work - *The Long Goodbye*, *McCabe &
Mrs. Miller* and *Thieves Like Us* - Robert Altman remains an under-valued
filmmaker. With this comprehensive volume, Altman finally recieives the
recognition he so fully deserves."
- Con Verevis, Monash University

The *Companion* includes the following newly commissioned essays:
1. “It’s OK with me:” Introducing Robert Altman by *Adrian Danks*

*Part I – Zoom in: Becoming Altman*

2. Sponsoring the Hollywood Renaissance: Reappraising Altman’s Industrial
Films by *Mark Minett*

3. From *Alfred Hitchcock Presents* to *Tanner on Tanner*: The Long Tail of
Altman’s Television Career by *Tony Williams*

4. Just a Station on His Way? Altman’s Transition From Television to Film
by *Nick Hall*

5. Breaking the Rules: Altman, Innovation and the Critics by *David
Sterritt*

*Part II – “I’ve got poetry in me:” Seeing and Hearing Altman*

6. The Porous Frame: Visual Style in Altman’s 1970s Films by *Hamish Ford*

7. *3 Women*: Floating Above the Awful Abyss by *Joe McElhaney*

8. The Multitrack World of *California Split* by *Wheeler Winston Dixon*

9. The Democratic Voice: Altman’s Sound Aesthetics in the 1970s by *Jay
Beck*

10. Creativity and Compromise: *California Split*’s Original
Soundtrack by *Gayle
Magee*

*Part III – Placing Altman: Space, History and Genre*

11. High Hollywood in *The Long Goodbye** by **Murray Pomerance*

12. Altman and the Western, or a Hollywood Director’s History Lesson of the
American West by *Stephen Teo*

13. Altman/Nixon/Reagan: Honorable Secrets, Historical Analogies and the
Nexus of Anger by *Rick Armstrong*

14. LA and Paris: The Construction of Social Space in the Films of Altman
by *Robert T. Self*

15. “The Man I Love,” or Time Regained: Altman, History and *Kansas City*
 by *Adrian Danks*

*Part IV – Being Altman: Character, Performance and Situation*

16. “One is Both the Same:” Fantasy and Female Psychosis in *Images* and *That
Cold Day in the Park *by *David Melville*

17. *Nashville*: Second City Performance Comes to Hollywood by *Virginia
Wright Wexman*

18. Altman: The Artist in Middle Age by *Christos Tsiolkas*

19. Lawful Lawyer, Vigilante Father: Altman, Masculinity and *The
Gingerbread Man* by *Tom Dorey*

*Part V – Zoom out: After “Altman”*

20. Staging the “Rebel’s Return”: *The Player*, *Short Cuts* and the
Precarious Art of the Comeback by *Dimitrios Pavlounis*

21. The End of the Hollywood Hero: *Dr T & the Women* and Altman’s
Multi-Protagonist Narratives by *María del Mar Azcona*

22. The Long Reach of *Short Cuts* by *Robert P. Kolker*

23. Kicking and Screaming: Altmanesque Cynicism and Energy in the Work of
Paul Thomas Anderson and Noah Baumbach by *Claire Perkins*

--
Dr Adrian Danks
Director of Higher Degree Research

Just published:
Adrian Danks (ed.), *A Companion to Robert Altman*, Wiley-Blackwell, 2015.

http://www.ScreenSite.org