SCREEN-L Archives

June 2015, Week 5

From:
Sebastian Manley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jun 2015 20:47:30 +0100
Readers might be interested in the below book of essays and poetry on
animals in film, which I co-edited (I've inserted the table of contents
after the promotional text). If you'd like to enquire about obtaining a
review copy, please do drop me an email.

Sincerely,
Seb Manley

'LIVES BEYOND US' - Book and book launch.

If the dogs who starred in classic Hollywood movies could speak, what would
they say? What role did protozoa play in the history of celluloid? What if
a bear intervened in Cabaret’s famous “So do I” scene?

‘Lives Beyond Us’ is the latest anthology from Sidekick Books - a critical
and poetic, serious yet playful exploration of animals in film, freely
mixing contemporary verse with essays in a range of styles. It’s also a
340-page monster volume with full-colour illustrations. It’s edited by film
writer Sebastian Manley and award-winning poet Kirsten Irving, and it’s
available now from Sidekick Books at
http://www.sidekickbooks.com/livesbeyondus.php

We’re launching the book at the Genesis Cinema in Whitechapel, London
on Tuesday,
21st July from 7pm. The event is free to attend, and there will be a film
quiz and short readings. Come and have a drink with the editors!

You can reach Sidekick Books via @sidekickbooks, facebook.com/sidekickbooks
or our website, www.sidekickbooks.com.

--

LIVES BEYOND US: POEMS AND ESSAYS ON THE FILM REALITY OF ANIMALS

Edited by Sebastian Manley and Kirsten Irving

Introduction
SEBASTIAN MANLEY

‘I quite deliberately dressed wild animals in tame costumes of my
imagination’: Animals as Special Effects
PAUL WELLS

Post-production
JOHN CLEGG

Representations of Animal Advocacy in Film
LOREDANA LOY

The Human–Animal Dialectic in Animated Movies
TÂNIA REGINA VIZACHRI

Extras | Commentaries | Owls
MIKE WEST

Significant Others: Of Horses and Men in *The Wild Horse Redemption*
AMANDA GILROY

Gender Trouble and *The Horse Whisperer*
ANGELA HOFSTETTER

Blurring the Boundaries: *Big Cat Diary*
CAROL FREEMAN

Bear #141
SAMUEL PRINCE

Bear Intervention!
JON STONE

The Avant-Garde among the Animals
WALTER C. METZ

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
SOPHIE MAYER

Asta: The Screwball Dog and the Hollywood Crime Film
NICOLAS PILLAI

Ambrosius
CHRISSY WILLIAMS

A *Pirates of the Caribbean* Bestiary
ANTHONY ADLER

Les Chiens de *Mon Oncle*
SIMON BARRACLOUGH

ALIEN vs JONESY
ANGELA CLELAND

The lion handler’s advice to a young Melanie Griffith
REBECCA WIGMORE

Analytic Animals: Agency at Some Interfaces within Chronophotography
CLIFF HAMMETT

A cat called Orangey was in a number of movies,
MARK WALDRON

Machine-Age Comedy Gone Rural: *Hustlin’ Hank* (1923) and the Problem of
Animals on Film
KEVIN M. FLANAGAN

The Wolf Man
ABIGAIL PARRY

‘Does zoology include people?’ Human and Animal Identity in Hitchcock’s
*Marnie* (1964) and *The Birds* (1963)
SEBASTIAN MANLEY

Empire of the Ants
JUDE C. MONTAGUE

Tallow
JAMES COGHILL

Death of a White-Tailed Deer in David Lynch’s *The Straight Story* (1999)
JULIE ANN SMITH

A Very Special Case
NICK MURRAY

The Pitch
RICHARD EVANS

Easy Rovers, Raging Fur Balls: How Animals Did a Wee-Wee on Hollywood and
Humped Louis Mayer’s Favourite Armchair
OLLY GRUNER