SCREEN-L Archives

March 2015, Week 3

From:
Erin Giannini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 2015 19:42:41 -0600
(apologies for cross-posting)

New Worlds, Terrifying Monsters, Impossible Things: Exploring the Contents
and Contexts of Doctor Who: PopMatters eBook

*Doctor Who* holds the distinction of not only being the longest running
sci-fi series, but also one of the longest running prime-time series, ever.
While numerous scholarship (both academic and non) has examined both the
original series (1963-1989) and the rebooted series (2005-present), we are
seeking to examine the historical and cultural contexts of the series,
including topics such as the "missing" episodes, the show's place on the
BBC, its global transmission, and branding of the series. (We will not be
covering analyses of fandom or individual episodes.)

We welcome ideas for articles, but we are especially seeking proposals on:

The reception/transmission of the series internationally (past or present):
BBC, PBS, SyFy, BBC America

*Doctor Who* as brand/ancillary products and “toyetic” potential

The global transmission of the 50th Anniversary special

American remakes of British series/the 1996 *Doctor Who* film as “pilot
episode”

*Doctor Who* as “educational programming” as per the BBC’s mission
statement

The missing episodes/BBC’s wiping policy

*Doctor Who*’s place in the BBC’s programming history

Science fiction on the BBC pre-*Doctor Who*

The Future of *Doctor Who*

The place of paratexts (e.g., minisodes/webisodes/Big Audio) in the
text of *Doctor
Who*

Pitch Deadline: 4 April 2015

First Drafts: 20 May 2015

Final Essay Deadline: 15 June 2015

Contact: Erin Giannini and Karen Zarker

Email: [log in to unmask]@popmatters.com

Email subject line: Doctor Who: Contents and Contexts

Essays accepted for this collection will be published as an eBook for *Doctor
Who* fans and cultural generalists. Essays should be written in *PopMatters*
style; erudite, engaging and entertaining, but not laden with academic
language. Essays length is approximately 2,000-3,000 words, MLA format.
Royalties will be paid. Essays not accepted for the eBook will be
considered for publication on the *PopMatters* website.

https://listserv.ua.edu/archives/screen-l.html