SCREEN-L Archives

April 2014, Week 4

Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2014 06:45:36 -0700
Dear All,

Just a reminder that these are the last days of our Women’s History Month
Special Offer featuring the Video Librarian HIGHLY RECOMMENDED documentary
WITH MY HEART IN YAMBO.

"3 ½ stars... With My Heart in Yambo interweaves archival footage and
interviews, coming across as a nightmarish collage…Highly recommended.” -
Video Librarian

“Since it opened at cinemas in Ecuador in October it has been seen by more
than 160,000 people, making it the most successful documentary in the
country’s history. Such has been its impact that the interior ministry has
promised to show it to police officers as part of their human rights
training, and the attorney general has begun a new investigation.” – Irene
Caselli, BBC

Now available for educational use, 2014 New Release With My Heart in Yambo
recounts the devastating story of the 1988 kidnapping of two teenage
brothers. An intimate journey into a family’s personal tragedy unveils one
of the darkest political episodes in Ecuador’s recent history. An
illuminating documentary, With My Heart in Yambo would make an important
contribution to courses in Latin American Studies, International Politics,
Documentary Studies and Women’s Studies.

WITH MY HEART IN YAMBO
María Fernanda Restrepo
Ecuador / 137 min / Spanish with English subtitles
When director María Fernanda Restrepo was only 10 years old, her life
changed in the cruelest of ways: her two brothers—then 14 and 17—vanished
without a trace. Only later did the family learn that the boys had been
illegally detained, tortured, and murdered by the Ecuadorean police. Now,
decades later, with her brothers’ remains still missing, Restrepo embarks
on the painful journey of recounting her family’s story. In the process,
she comes face to face with the suspects, and documents yet one more
search in Lake Yambo, where the boys’ bodies were dumped.
Watch the Trailer and order at:
http://www.pragda.com/films/with-my-heart-in-yambo

WOMEN’S HISTORY MONTH SPECIAL OFFER
Pragda is proud to distribute a diverse selection of award-winning films
by some of the most important women directors working in Spain and Latin
America. In celebration of women’s history month, take 15% discount off
our films directed by women when you purchase With My Heart in Yambo at
full list price. To place your order, simply email [log in to unmask] or
call (800) 343-5540 and mention the promo code WOMEN2014.

This offer is valid now through April 30, 2014 and can be applied to any
of the following films:

LA YUMA **National Selection for the Academy Awards®
A film by Florence Jaugy
Nicaragua, Spain, Mexico, France / 91 min / Spanish with English subtitles
Nicaragua’s first full-length feature in 20 years, La Yuma tells the story
of a young woman who dreams of transcending her bleak life in the slums of
Managua by becoming a boxer.
Watch the Trailer and order at: http://www.pragda.com/films/la-yuma

CINEMA HOLD-UP **Sundance Premiere
A film by Iria Gómez Concheiro
Mexico / 124 min / Spanish with English subtitles
An explosive and entertaining dramatic comedy,The Cinema Hold Up is a
vibrant, authentic, and wonderfully observed portrait of the tempo and
texture of today’s Mexican youth culture.
The film premiered at the Sundance Film Festival to rave reviews.
Watch the Trailer and order at:
http://www.pragda.com/films/the-cinema-hold-up

THE DEATH OF PINOCHET
A film by Bettina Perut & Ivan Osnovikoff
Chile / 67 min / Spanish with English subtitles
With undeniable historical, social and political importance, this intimate
and surprising portrait of Chilean society expresses the vitality of a
nation.
Watch the Trailer and order at:
http://www.pragda.com/films/the-death-of-pinochet

MORE FILMS FROM PRAGDA
Explore Pragda’s entire collection of award-winning films from Spain and
Latin America in our online catalog: http://www.pragda.com/films
Additional offers available at: http://www.pragda.com/films/special-offers

HOW TO ORDER
-Email your order to [log in to unmask]
-Fax your order to (845) 774-2945
-Phone in your order to (800) 343-5540 and pay using Visa, MasterCard,
Discover or American Express

QUESTIONS?
We’re here to help you bring the best of Spanish & Latin American cinema
to your communities and classrooms. We encourage you to reach out to us
directly with any questions or comments. Email [log in to unmask] or call
718-473-0647.

I look forward to working with you!

All best,

Daniela

—
Daniela Bajar
Pragda
Bringing You the Best of Spanish & Latin American Cinema
302 Bedford Ave., # 136
Brooklyn, NY 11249
(tel): 347-891-1788

Pragda: www.pragda.com