SCREEN-L Archives

April 2014, Week 3

From:
Film History <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2014 01:14:20 +0000
[Apologies for cross-posting--]

Hello all,

The latest issue of Film History (vol. 26, no. 1) is now available, featuring a variety of new articles that may be of interest to readers, including:

  *   Film, Cultural Policy, and World War I Training Camps: Send Your Soldier to the Show with Smileage (Sue Collins)
  *   The Myth of Evangeline and the Origin of Canadian National Cinema (Zoë Constantinides)

  *   Marketing Rebellion: The Chinese Revolution Reconsidered (Kim Fahlstedt)
  *   Millhouse: The Problems and Opportunities of Political Cinema (Mark Minett)
  *   Splitsville: Independent Exhibitors Court Federal Intervention in the American Film Industry, 1975-1988 (Deron Overpeck)

This issue also contains the inaugural installment of a new recurring feature called "Re-Readings," featuring historiographic reevaluation of important pre-1960 works of film history:

  *   "What Movie Tonight?": Margaret Thorp between the Aesthetics and the Sociology of American Cinema (Dana Polan)

We hope you will enjoy reading this issue, which can be accessed on JSTOR or Project MUSE:

http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.2979/filmhistory.26.issue-1
http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/film_history/toc/fih.26.1.html

All the best,

David Church, Managing Editor