SCREEN-L Archives

March 2014, Week 1

From:
"Brown, Tom" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 2014 12:32:59 +0000
Dear Screen-L subscribers

Apologies for adding another email to your inboxes and for any
cross-posting. I hope the moderators will allow this message because it
contains important clarification about a previous posting.

The publishers of my book sent the message below by mistake and it does
not entirely accurately reflect the contents of the book.

Any fans of Annie Hall, The Devil's advocate or The Ides of March, beware!
The first two are mentioned in the briefest possible ways in the book and
The Ides of March not at all!

The book contains individual case studies chapters on Nights of Cabiria
(Fellini, 1957), High Fidelity (Frears, 2000) and La Ronde (Ophuls, 1950).
A wide range of
other films are discussed including Two
or Three Things I Know About Her (Godard, 1967), Funny Games (Haneke,
1997), Make
Way for Tomorrow (McCarey, 1937), Magnolia
(Anderson, 1999), Easter Parade (Walters,
1948) and The Circus (Chaplin, 1928).

See also the following blogs on direct address, which also
contain short samples from the book.
http://fttreading.wordpress.com/2012/05/31/breaking-the-fourth-wall-direct-
address-in-the-cinema-4/
http://filmstudiesforfree.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/on-cinematic-direct-addres