SCREEN-L Archives

February 2014, Week 2

From:
"pragda.com" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 2014 14:59:27 -0500
Dear Friends,

I am pleased to share information about our 2014 New Release THE ROCK (LA ROCA), which shines a light on a little-known part of recent Spanish history and Spain-United Kingdom relations. This gripping and informative documentary is essential-viewing for courses in Hispanic Studies, European Studies, Cultural Studies, History and Sociology. Find more information below and please feel free to reach out to me directly with any questions!

THE ROCK (LA ROCA)
A film by Raul Santos
Spain / 70 min / Documentary / Spanish with English subtitles

DVD w/ PPR for Universities, Colleges and Institutions $350
DVD w/ DSL for Universities, Colleges and Institutions $499
DVD w/ PPR & DSL for Universities, Colleges and Institutions $599

Watch the trailer and order at: http://www.pragda.com/films/the-rock

La Roca is an epic Romeo & Juliet-type love story between the massive Rock of Gibraltar and its neighboring Spanish city of La Linea. Despite being declared enemies by their countries, the people of both cities depended on each other, got married and lived happily with their bilingual children. But in 1969, Franco, the only dictator to survive WWII, closed the entrance to the British Territory of Gibraltar, isolating 30,000 people without food, water or telephone lines, breaking families apart and devastating the economies of both communities.

Though the frontier to Gibraltar was eventually re-opened in 1982, the populations on either side of the gates were scarred for life. La Roca takes a hard look at how this happened and offers intimate, first-hand accounts from those who survived this tragic episode in Spanish history.

“Thrilling… if there is anything we can learn from this documentary, it’s that the people should not pay for the mistakes of their rulers.  Our children should watch this.”
-Carmen González, CADENA SUR

***SELECT AWARDS
Seville European Film Festival
Golden Giraldillo for Best European Documentary

Andalusian Cinema Awards
Nominated for Best Documentary and Best Original Score

Atlántida Film Festival
Special Mention from the Jury

***SEE MORE FILMS FROM SPAIN
Explore Pragda’s collection of critically-acclaimed Spanish films, including the popular new DVD compilation SPAIN IN CRISIS: A COLLECTIVE RESPONSE (http://www.pragda.com/films/spain-in-crisis-a-collective-response) by going to: http://www.pragda.com/films?sortby=nationality&nation=Spain

***HOW TO ORDER
Email your order to [log in to unmask]
Mail your order to Pragda, c/o Transit Media, 190 Route 17m, Suite D – Harriman, NY 10926.
Fax your order to (845) 774-2945.
Phone in your order to (800) 343-5540 and pay using Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express.
Online: Order your films directly through our catalog at www.pragda.com/films.

****QUESTIONS?
We’re here to help you bring the best of Spanish & Latin American cinema to your communities and classrooms. We encourage you to reach out to us directly with any questions or comments. Email [log in to unmask] or call 347-891-1788.

I look forward to working with you!

All best,
Olivia
--