SCREEN-L Archives

January 2013, Week 4

From:
Katharina Bonzel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2013 02:12:54 +0000
With apologies for cross posting

Women and the Silent Screen VII: Performance and the Emotions

The University of Melbourne, Sept. 30 - Oct. 2, 2013

***NEW EXTENDED DEADLINE FOR CFP: 1 March 2013***

Previously held in Utrecht, Santa Cruz, Montréal, Guadalajara, Stockholm and Bologna, this is the first time the conference has been brought to the Australia-Pacific region. We are inviting participants to submit abstracts (200-300 words, headed by a paper title) as well as a short biographical statement by 20/01/2013. Those who would like to propose panels or workshops should submit a panel title, as well as the individual paper proposal. We hope that the nature of the industry itself can become a starting point for questions about women’s collaborative endeavor. Topics may include but are not limited to:

  *   Performance and the emotions
  *   Women making films
  *   Film and the archive
  *   Transnational collaborations
  *   Indigeneity and Indigenous Peoples
  *   Set design and fashion
  *   Monstrosity and the silent screen
  *   Queer theory
  *   Historiography
  *   Studies in National cinemas (especially Australian, East & South East Asian film)
  *   The New Woman
  *   The Sound of the Silents

Those whose work does not fall within these categories are still encouraged to submit a proposal. We will make every effort to represent the breadth of scholarship being undertaken in film history.

The conference welcomes participation from scholars, archivists, students and cinephiles. It is supported by a program of screenings at ACMI (Australia Centre for the Moving Image), which will run from 26 September to 30 September, 2013. This program will be developed in collaboration with the National Film and Sound Archive.

The conference is convened by Victoria Duckett and Jeanette Hoorn. Keynote speakers include Richard Abel, Weihong Bao, Pam Cook, Barbara Creed, Mary Ann Doane and Shelley Stamp.

Please send your abstracts, or any questions you might have to the organizers at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Katharina Bonzel
Research Assistant, Screen Studies Program
School of Culture & Communication
University of Melbourne
Victoria 3010
Australia
[log in to unmask]<https://owa.unimelb.edu.au/owa/UrlBlockedError.aspx>
ph: (03) 9035-3955
(Please note I work Tuesday to Thursday.)