SCREEN-L Archives

January 2013, Week 4

From:
Amy Herzog <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2013 21:22:40 -0500
I've seen more than one Soundie jukebox film with a similar set up.
Here's a link to one (although the narrative doesn't seem quite
right). I've got notes on another one I viewed at the Eastman House
(pasted below). I'm sure these aren't the only shorts that use this
device.

http://archive.org/details/LampOfMemory

"Meet Me Tonight in Dreamland" 12/30/46 R.C.M., Soundies D.C.
Prod. Ben Hersh Dir. Dave Gould Featuring: The Guardsmen Quartet

Synopsis: Man serenades couples in restaurant, "Tonight in dreamland,
my love, we'll have a secret rondevouz." One couple leaves, each go to
separate rooms in hotel. Cross-section of wall, both rise and dance,
superimposed over sleeping bodies.

Best,
Amy

Amy Herzog