SCREEN-L Archives

January 2013, Week 1

From:
Kathy Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2013 18:47:25 -0500
Dear Everyone, I am delighted to announce the publication of a big new book on US cinema history 1895-1915. It's for sale on Amazon. Please see the description below, and please email me at  [log in to unmask]  if you'd like me to send a sample chapter, the illustrations are amazing.  thanks, Kathy Fuller-Seeley, Georgia State University

One Thousand Nights atthe Movies: An Illustrated History of Motion Pictures 1895-1915  is a detailed history of the birth of motion pictures. This richlyillustrated coffee-table-size book charts the tumultuous growth from earlyinventions and innovations, through the creation of film studios, movietheaters, and the first movie stars. Uniquely, the book celebrates and exploresthe showmanship of mom-and-pop Main Street nickelodeon theaters across the UnitedStates through 670 spectacular, never-before-published photographs and rarearchival evidence in nearly 200,000 words. Authors Dave Bowers and KathyFuller-Seeley bring a lifetime of research to this fascinating story of how anupstart new entertainment medium struggled in the early 1900's to becomeAmerica's greatest form of popular culture — how it went from Main Street toWall Street and changed the world.
Available through Amazon for $69.95 + free shipping.
Please feel free to email me at [log in to unmask] if you’d like to have mesend a sample chapter and images.  Thanks, Kathy Fuller-Seeley, Georgia State University
Table of Contents
    Foreword by PaulSpehr
    Introduction
    Chapter 1:Pictures in Motion
    Chapter 2: TheFirst Movies
    Chapter 3: PennyArcades and Picture Parlors
    Chapter 4: AStorefront and Scarcely More
    Chapter 5:Nickelodeons on Main Street
    Chapter 6:Outfitting and Equipping a Theater
    Chapter 7:Planning the Picture Show
    Chapter 8: TheMovies Become Big Business
    Chapter 9: Moviesin Parks and Outdoors
    Chapter 10: TheTraveling Picture Show
    Chapter 11: Movieswith Sound and Color
    Chapter 12: Musicand Sound Effects
    Chapter 13:Posters, Publicity, and Excitement
    Chapter 14: FilmStars and Fans in the Nickelodeon Era
    Chapter 15:"Trust" Studios and Their Players
    Chapter 16:"Independent" and Other Studios and Their Players
    Chapter 17: NewThrills Each Week: The Serials
    Chapter 18: YouCan't Watch That!
    Epilogue
    SelectedBibliography

Product Details
    Hardcover: 414pages
    Publisher: WhitmanPublishing, LLC (January 22, 2013)
    ISBN-10:0794832504
    ISBN-13:978-0794832506
    ProductDimensions: 12.2 x 10.3 x 1.6 inches
    Shipping Weight: 6.5 pounds

https://listserv.ua.edu/archives/screen-l.html