SCREEN-L Archives

July 2012, Week 3

Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2012 20:03:12 +0100
Dear Colleague

At its Annual Board Meeting in June the Association for Studies in French Cinema decided to offer all colleague(s) with a strong interest in French cinema the opportunity to organize the Studies in French Cinema one-day annual conference, with support from the Editorial team. Our wish is to give colleagues experience in conference organization, as well as the possibility of subsequently editing a special number of the journal based on the conference. Note that we would welcome more than one organizer, not necessarily from the same institution. If you are interested, please read on.

1. Date of the conference: We wish to hold it in the few days before the Screen conference in Glasgow, so as to allow Screen delegates the possibility of combining two conferences. Conference 2013 will therefore take place on Thursday 27 June.

2. Topic: Conference 2013 could either be topic-based or open, by negotiation with the Editorial team.

3. Format: As with Conference 12 this year (see http://www.surrey.ac.uk/fahs/research/sfc/annualconference/index.htm), we wish to have a series of un-precirculated 20-minute papers, in either English or French, with one or two keynotes.

4. Location: We have with one exception (Paris 2010) always held the annual conference in London, either at the French Institute or more recently at King's College London. We wish to hold Conference 2013 in the UK, but are open to locations outside of London. However, we wish to carry on making the conference one of the most affordable with fees of no more than £20 excluding refreshments; this may be a constraining factor for some institutions, so please check with your institution before contacting us.

5. Financial support: We will provide financial support of £1200-£1500, e.g. to support keynote speakers and to provide travel bursaries for postgraduate students.

6. Logistical support: The SFC office will provide logistical support, such as conference registration and contact with speakers, in conjunction with the conference organizer(s), and will organize contacts with publishers for conference pack material.

7. Special number: We will work with the organizer(s) to shape a special number based on the papers of Conference 2013. We expect this to take 18 months from Conference 13 to publication, i.e. Volume 14 number 3 (Autumn 2014).

If you are interested in taking up this offer, please contact Phil Powrie by 24 August 2013 at the latest ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>).

Phil Powrie
Professor of Cinema Studies
Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Human Sciences
University of Surrey
GU2 7XH

Admin Assistant: Linda Ellis <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>/+44 (0)1483689445
Webpage: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/fahs/people/phil_powrie/index.htm
Studies in French Cinema: http://surrey.ac.uk/fahs/research/sfc

Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://www.screenlex.org