SCREEN-L Archives

June 2012, Week 4

From:
Rachel Shand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2012 12:49:55 +0100
30 % off for all SCREEN-L subscribers!*

  <http://bit.ly/N1GdWx> Living and the Undead <http://bit.ly/N1GdWx>

Slaying Vampires, Exterminating Zombies

 Gregory A Waller

“A fascinating account of the changing trends in vampire fiction . . .People truly interested in horror literature and films will find Waller’s book invaluable.” ―West Coast Review of Books

“Highly recommended as a source book for those interested in the horror genre. In addition, Waller’s book provides a critical abundance of empirical data for any scholar concerned with genre studies, history, adaptation, narrativity, and intertextuality.” ―Wide Angle

In this book, Gregory A. Waller shows why the vampire continues to fascinate us in film and fiction. Waller focuses upon a series of interrelated novels, stories, plays, films, and made-for-television movies: Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1897); several film adaptations of Stoker’s novel; F. W. Murnau’s Nosferatu, A Symphony of Horror (1922); Werner Herzog’s Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979); and George Romero’s Night of the Living Dead (1968) and Dawn of the Dead (1979). All of these works, Waller argues, speak to our understanding and fear of evil and chaos, of desire and egotism, of slavish dependence and masterful control. This paperback edition of The Living and the Undead features a new preface in which Waller positions his analysis in relation to the explosion of vampire and zombie films, fiction, and criticism in the past twenty-five years.

University of Illinois Press

August 2010 400pp 9780252077722 PB £16.99 now only £11.50 when you quote CS0612VAMP <http://bit.ly/N1GdWx>  when you order

  <http://bit.ly/KD9OFX> Celluloid Vampires <http://bit.ly/KD9OFX>

Life After Death in the Modern World

 Stacey Abbott

In 1896, French magician and filmmaker George Méliès brought forth the first celluloid vampire in his film Le manoir du diable. The vampire continues to be one of film’s most popular gothic monsters and in fact, today more people become acquainted with the vampire through film than through literature, such as Bram Stoker’s classic Dracula. How has this long legacy of celluloid vampires affected our understanding of vampire mythology? In this entertaining and absorbing work, Stacey Abbott challenges the conventional interpretation of vampire mythology and argues that the medium of film has completely reinvented the vampire archetype. Rather than representing the primitive and folkloric, the vampire has come to embody the very experience of modernity.

With case studies of vampire classics such as Nosferatu, Martin, Blade, and Habit, the author traces the evolution of the American vampire film, arguing that vampires are more than just blood-drinking monsters; they reflect the cultural and social climate of the societies that produce them, especially during times of intense change and modernization.

University of Texas Press

April 2011 304pp 9780292716964 PB £16.99 now only £11.50 when you quote CS0612VAMP <http://bit.ly/KD9OFX>  when you order

Postage and Packing £3.50

(PLEASE QUOTE REF NUMBER: CS0612VAMP <http://bit.ly/oifG0E>  for discount)

To order a copy please contact Marston on +44(0)1235 465500 or email [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

or visit our website:

http://bit.ly/oifG0E

where you can also receive your discount

*Offer excludes the USA, South America and Australasia.

Or to request an inspection copy of this title please email [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>  stating your university, any relevant courses/modules you teach and the intake for your course/module per year.

Follow us on Twitter @CAP_Ltd <http://twitter.com/#!/CAP_Ltd>  or Facebook Combined Academic-Publishers <http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sfrm=1#!/CombinedAcademicPublishers>