SCREEN-L Archives

March 2012, Week 4

From:
Jason Mittell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2012 15:27:58 +0200
Greetings,

As some of you know, I've been writing my book *Complex TV: The Poetics of
Contemporary Television Storytelling* for some time now, and am now ready
to launch the next phase of the project. I am putting up chapters of the
book online through MediaCommons Press at
http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org/mcpress/complextelevision/ for open
access and "peer-to-peer review" prior to submitting the manuscript to NYU
Press. I invite you to provide feedback on the chapters as they are
pre-published.

A quick outline of the plan: the book's introduction and first chapter are
posted now (as of Saturday evening, in conjunction with an SCMS workshop on
digital publishing I Skyped in for from Germany). I plan on posting
chapters every week or two over the next few months, serializing the
release to allow time for people to read and comment (and me to finish
writing). I hope that momentum will build and the conversation will
flourish through this process, but this is obviously an experiment. I hope
you can stop in and read the work in progress and offer feedback, and also
help spread the word to others who might be interested in the topic. I
would also love to hear any feedback about this unorthodox mode of
publication and review.

Thanks in advance for your participation!

Best,
-Jason
---
Jason Mittell, Associate Professor of American Studies and Film & Media
Culture
Chair of Film & Media Culture Department
Middlebury College
208 Axinn Center at Starr Library
Middlebury, Vermont 05753
(802) 443-3435 / fax: (802) 443-2805
Blog: http://go.middlebury.edu/justtv
My current book project *Complex TV* is online at
http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org/mcpress/complextelevision/

*On Fellowship for the 2011-12 academic year at:*
Georg-August-Universität Göttingen
Lichtenberg-Kolleg
Geismar Landstraße 11
37083 Göttingen