SCREEN-L Archives

February 2012, Week 2

From:
Michelle Langford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 2012 00:04:04 +0000
Call For Contributions — Directory of World Cinema: Germany Volume 2

As editor of the Directory of World Cinema: Germany (Vol. 2), I am seeking authors to contribute to volume 2 due for publication in 2013. I amseeking short scholarly reviews of approximately 700-800 words (incl. a brief synopsis) on notable German films. Please see below for the list of films available for review. Established researchers of German cinema as well as emerging scholars and graduate students are welcome to contribute. Contributors will receive a copy of the book when it is published.

If you wish to contribute, please email Michelle Langford: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> with a brief CV, a small sample of your writing and nominate the films you would like to review. Preference will be given to authors who are willing to write at least three reviews.

I am also seeking experienced authors to contribute several longer essays (approximately 2000-2500 words) on a range of German cinema topics including:

Festival Focus

·      The Oberhausen Short Film Festival (2000-2500 words)

Scoring Cinema

·      Proposals are invited for an essay (2000-2500 words) on a prominent German film composer or music supervisor.

Genre introductions

·      Experimental Film (1500-2000 words)

·      Sport film (1500-2000 words)

·      Costume Drama (1500-2000 words)

Films available for review

Musicals:
Viktor und Viktoria

Reinhold Schünzel

1932

The Woman of my dreams

Georg Jakoby

1944

Märzmelodie

Martin Walz

2008

Lulu and Jimi

Oskar Roehler

2009

Costume Drama
Madame DuBarry

Ernst Lubitsch

1919

Satanas

F.W. Murnau

1920

Anna Boleyn

Ernst Lubitsch

1920

Das Weib des Pharao

Ernst Lubitsch

1922

Lucrezia Borgia

Richard Oswald

1922

Friedrich Schiller - Eine Dichterjugend

Curt Goetz

1923

Carlos and Elisabeth (Carlos und Elisabeth)

Richard Oswald

1924

Hotel Sacher

Erich Engel

1930

Rasputin, Dämon der Frauen

Adolf Trotz

1932

Frühlingssinfonie

Peter Schamoni

1983

Der Sommer der Gaukler

Marcus H. Rosenmüller

2011

Sport
Das große Spiel

Robert A. Stemmle

1942

White Magic

Willy Bogner

1994

Eine andere Liga

Buket Alakus

2005

Wo ist Fred?

Anno Saul

2006

Parkour

Marc Rensing

2009

Der Ganz Grosse Traum

Sebastian Grobler

2011

Crime
Varieté

Ewald André Dupont

1925

Berlin-Alexanderplatz - Die Geschichte Franz Biberkopfs

Phil Jutzi

1931

Damals

Rolf Hansen

1943

The Deathmaker (Der Totmacher)

Romuald Karmakar

1995

Short Sharp Shock (Kurz und schmerzlos)

Fatih Akin

1998

Westerns
The Sons of Great Bear (Die Söhne der großen Bärin)

Josef Mach

1965

Chingachgook (Chingachgook, die grosse Schlange)

Richard Groschopp

1967

Trail of the Falcon (Spur des Falken)

Gottfried Kolditz

1968

Flaming Frontier (Old Surehand)

Alfred Vohrer

1965

The Emperor of California (Der Kaiser von Kalifornien)

Luis Trenker

1936

Adaptations
Liebelei

Max Ophüls

1933

Kleider machen Leute

Helmut Käutner

1940

Der Untertan (DEFA)

Wolfgang Staudte

1957

Der Laden

Jo Baier

1998

Mitte Ende August

Sebastian Schipper

2007

Boxhagener Platz

Matti Geschonneck

2010

For more information about the Directory of World Cinema series visit:
http://worldcinemadirectory.co.uk/

Directory of World Cinema: Germany, ed. Michelle Langford (Intellect, 2011)
http://www.intellectbooks.co.uk/books/view-Book,id=4789/

Dr Michelle Langford
Senior Lecturer, Film Studies
School of the Arts and Media