SCREEN-L Archives

September 2011, Week 3

From:
Eric Hoyt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Sep 2011 09:49:36 -0700
Dear Screen-L:

I am pleased to announce the launch of the Media History Digital Library's
new website. On the site you, you will find access to over 200,000 digitized
pages of public domain media industry trade papers and fan magazines,
including Moving Picture World (1912-1918), Film Daily (1918-1936),
Photoplay (1917-1940), Radio Broadcast (1922-1930), and much more. Here is
the link:

http://mediahistoryproject.org/

The project is supported by owners of materials who loan them for scanning,
and donors who contribute funds to cover the cost of scanning. Our sincere
thanks go to the owners, donors, and Rick Prelinger, who has allowed us to
incorporate scanned material from his collection into our project. David
Pierce is the founder and director of the MHDL. I am the digitization
coordinator and collaborated with Wendy Hagenmaier (University of Texas
Information School) on building the website. We're currently digitizing more
materials and developing an Advanced Search function that will allow you to
perform customizable searches across multiple publications, volumes, and
years. In the meantime, you can perform searches within individual volumes
(which span anywhere from 3 months to 2 years, depending on the
publication).

We hope you will use the Library, recommend it to your colleagues and
students, and let us know how we can improve the experience.  Also, please
let us know what media journals will be most useful for your own research to
have digitized (non-English language suggestions are welcome). We still have
a long way to go in making the public domain accessible and building digital
resources that will enable scholars to ask new questions and write new
histories. But, I hope you will agree, this is a good step forward!

Sincerely,
Eric Hoyt

--
Eric Hoyt
Ph.D. Candidate, Division of Critical Studies, School of Cinematic Arts

Digitization Coordinator, Media History Digital Library
http://mediahistoryproject.org/

----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://www.screenlex.org