SCREEN-L Archives

May 2011, Week 4

Date:
Sun, 22 May 2011 21:45:32 -0500
Greetings!

We want to let you know that the new issue of Flow: A Critical Forum
on Television and Media Culture is available at http://flowtv.org.

This issue features our "Flow Favorites," columns published in the
last year picked by the editorial board, including work from Alexander
Doty, Randall Livingstone, Kyle Barnett, Charles R. Acland, Bridget
Conor, Kelli Marshall and Jayson Harsin.

This issue's columns in brief:

- "Wikileaks' Lessons For Media Theory and Politics" by Jayson Harsin
An exploration of WikiLeaks provides a wide shot of the famed web
scandal within a larger political, global and ideological landscape.

- "Modern Family, Glee, and the Limits of Television Liberalism" by
Alexander Doty
Examining the tensions of modern liberalism in the TV shows Glee and
Modern Family.

- "The Myth of Classlessness in Apple's "Get a Mac" Campaign" by
Randall Livingstone
Interrogating the class politics behind Mac advertising.

- "Avatar as Technological Tentpole" by Charles R. Acland
Charles Acland wonders whether James Cameron?s Avatar is a
?game-changer,? or business as usual?

- "Bromance and the Boys of Boston Legal" by Kelli Marshall
Exploring the sophisticated pleasures of watching heterosexual men
expressing their love for one another.

- "Problems in "Wellywood": Rethinking the politics of transnational
cultural labor" by Bridget Conor
Considering the labor issues surrounding the production of The Hobbit
in New Zealand.

- ""We Think INSIDE the Box": CD Box Sets in the Download Era" by Kyle Barnett
A look at how the DVD industry?s use of packaging mirrors and
contrasts that of deluxe vinyl and CD sets.

We look forward to your visit and encourage your comments.

Best wishes,

Flow Editorial Staff