SCREEN-L Archives

February 2011, Week 2

Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2011 11:43:24 -0600
Greetings,

We want to let you know that the new issue of Flow: A Critical Forum
on Television and Media Culture is available at http://flowtv.org.
Please stop by and feel free to leave comments.

This issue features columns from: Charles R. Acland, Aymar Jean
Christian, Lisa Coulthard, Esteban Del Rio, Lucas Hilderbrand, Amanda
Klein, and Murray Pomerance

This issue's columns in brief:

"You Haven't Seen Avatar Yet" by Charles R. Acland
http://flowtv.org/2011/02/you-havent-seen-avatar/
The DVD set for the film Avatar invites viewers to "extend the
journey," exemplary of the elasticity of the film's boundaries.

"The Problem of YouTube" by Aymar Jean Christian
http://flowtv.org/2011/02/the-problem-of-youtube/
Aymar Jean Christian dissects what's wrong with everyone's favorite
video channel.

"Drunk History and Displaced Vocality" by Lisa Coulthard
http://flowtv.org/2011/02/drunk-history-and-displaced-vocality/
An examination of displaced voices in Drunk History.

"Problems, Potential, and Place in Portlandia" by Esteban Del Rio
http://flowtv.org/2011/02/portlandia/
Can the enviro-slacker audience of IFC's Portlandia laugh at themselves?

"It's Okay to Watch a Show Called Cougar Town" by Lucas Hilderbrand
http://flowtv.org/2011/02/its-okay-to-watcha-show-called-cougar-town/
Lucas Hilderbrand celebrates the pleasures of the ABC sitcom Cougar
Town and assures us, "It's okay to watch."

"Black Swan, Cinematic Excess and the Full Body Experience" by Amanda
Klein http://flowtv.org/2011/02/black-swan/
In this piece, Amanda Klein explores how Black Swan employs the
conventions of art cinema in order to engage the mind, and uses the
conventions of horror, melodrama, and pornography to engage the body.

"'Who Lives?': Notes on a Cinematic Moment" by Murray Pomerance
http://flowtv.org/2011/02/who-lives/
In the true, unfolding experience of watching cinema, in our actual
presence with the image, our sense of being struck depends on our
relation to telltale moments.

Interested in supporting Flow? Click HERE http://flowtv.org/about/support/

FlowTV is now on Twitter! Follow Flow's Twitter page at:
http://twitter.com/flowtv

FlowTV is also on Facebook! Get updates on your news feed by becoming
a fan: www.facebook.com/FlowTV

We look forward to your visit and encourage your comments.

Best wishes,

Flow Editorial Staff