SCREEN-L Archives

January 2011, Week 3

From:
"Lamerichs N (LK)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2011 08:42:47 -0600
Dear Mike,

In the country I am in, this would fall under the right to quote (for
press/academics). In America, I would think it depends on how you view this
data. If you see the poems as a work of art, fair use would come in, but if you
see it as a personal conversation on a semi-public board people need to log in
to, you definitely need permission. If a fan openly refuses that you publish
snippets of her work, I would comply, just because it shows you are a good
sports ethic wise. It helps to check rules of internet research on this too,
though stances in this vary.

To be sure, maybe also check for instance the rules about copyright that the
Organization of Transformative Works frames. Fair chance you already know
them, most of them are also fan scholars. You can also inquire them what
they would do, they are very open to that.

Also, I am very interested in your book since I am also working on fan studies
in Europe, if you'd like to exchange experiences once, I'm very open to that,

Kind regards,
Nicolle Lamerichs