Help for FILM-ALERT Archives

FILM-ALERT Archives

FILM-ALERT@LISTSERV.UA.EDU

FILM-ALERT Home

FILM-ALERT  January 2011

FILM-ALERT January 2011

Double-Feature Screening & Fundraiser for Ladyfest Deep South 2011

"Purvis, Jennifer" <[log in to unmask]>

Purvis, Jennifer

Tue, 11 Jan 2011 16:14:59 -0600

Double-Feature Screening & Fundraiser for Ladyfest Deep South 2011!!

Date: Saturday, January 22nd
Time: 7:00 pm
Place: Little Willie’s, Downtown Tuscaloosa
All Ages!  $5 – Students & Youth
 $10 –  Adults

This fundraising event for Ladyfest Deep South 2011 is open to everyone!  The event will feature a screening of two amazing films on women and hip hop.  Join us!  $5 at the door for students and youth, $10 for adults.  Proceeds will help fund Ladyfest Deep South 2011, coming to Tuscaloosa, Alabama, April 15-17, 2011!

LADYFEST: a not-for-profit festival of arts and activism, where bands, artists, and attendees discuss political issues, trade or sell feminist arts and crafts, attend performances, and work on political and artistic organizing

FILMS: Nobody Knows My Name (1999; 58 min.) – The first documentary on women and hip hop—directed by Dr. Rachel Raimist (Assistant Professor in The University of Alabama’s Department of Telecommunication and Film)—tells the story of women connected by their love of hip-hop.  Despite the fact that these talented female artists exist within a culture that revolves around self-expression, the subjects of this documentary must struggle to be heard.

Say My Name (2009; 73 min.) – In her follow-up to Nobody Knows My Name, Nirit Peled revisits the hip hop and R & B world 10 years later.  The unstoppable female lyricists she interviews speak candidly about pursuing their passions as female MCs.  Viewers are treated to a vibrant tour of urban culture and musical movement, from hip hop’s birthplace in the Bronx, to grime on London’s Eastside, to Philly, Detroit, Chicago, Atlanta, and L.A., and points in between.

For More Info:
email: [log in to unmask]
ladyfest2011.tumblr.com
facebook.com/ladyfest2011
twitter.com/ladyfest2011

Dr. Jennifer Purvis
Associate Professor
Feminist Theory and Philosophy
Director of Women's Studies
Department of Gender and Race Studies
The University of Alabama
Box 870272
Tuscaloosa, AL  35487-0272
(205) 348-3315
fax: (205) 348-3584

----
If you no longer wish to receive announcements from Film-Alert,
please fill in this form:

http://bama.ua.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=film-alert&A=1

and click "Leave FILM-ALERT".