SCREEN-L Archives

December 2010, Week 1

From:
Dennis Doros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 2010 17:00:01 -0500
Dear Scott,

Edward was one of the first film historians and a reliable one, but he did
write his book sixty years after the fact and as I recall, it wouldn't have
been his first mistaken memory. However, you should also try asking this
question on nitrateville.com and the Association of Moving Image Archives
listserv (start at www.amianet.org and go from there).

As for archival work, there are a ton of people with less qualifications who
entered the field (including me) but we/I got in when everything was less
structured. These days, it definitely helps to have one of the moving image
archival studies certificates or degrees from GEH, UCLA, NYU, East Anglia,
Amsterdam, etc. but there's still people getting jobs in the field without
them. There is a lot of tedious work when you start out, but the eureka
moments are there even at the beginning level and they are memories that
make you all warm and fuzzy when you recall them years later. AMIA is a
great organization to join because it welcomes everybody from studios to
archives to collectors, to academics and students and everywhere in between.
Next year's conference is in Austin, TX.

Dennis
Milestone Film & Video