SCREEN-L Archives

November 2010, Week 2

Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 2010 23:55:15 -0600
Greetings,

We want to let you know that the new issue of Flow: A Critical Forum
on Television and Media Culture is available at http://flowtv.org.

This issue features columns from: Charles R. Acland, Lisa Coulthard,
Esteban Del Rio, Lucas Hilderbrand, Amanda Ann Klein, Kelli Marshall,
and Murray Pomerance.

This issue's columns in brief:

"Everybody Knows" by Charles R. Acland
http://flowtv.org/2010/11/everybody-knows/
The "nobody knows anything" phrase is a smokescreen for an extensive
and concentrated organization of advantage in the arena of commercial
cultural enterprise.

"The Hotness of Cold Opens: Breaking Bad and the Serial Narrative as
Puzzle" by Lisa Coulthard
http://flowtv.org/2010/11/the-hotness-of-cold-opens/
A look at the puzzling cold opens of Breaking Bad.

"The Fringe Benefits of Symbolic Annihilation" by Esteban Del Río
http://flowtv.org/2010/11/symbolic-annihilation/
Gerbner's notion of "symbolic annihilation" frames this discussion of
minority representation in mainstream U.S. television, wherein Del Rio
notes the conspicuous omission of Filipinos from the televisual space.

The History of Postmodern: Mark Ronson's Pop Nostalgia by Lucas Hilderbrand
http://flowtv.org/2010/11/the-history-of-postmodern-mark-ronson's-pop-nostalgia-lucas-hilderbrand-university-of-california-irvine/
Lucas Hilderbrand considers how Mark Ronson's new album reminisces
about the glory days of 1980s postmodern pop.

"Welfare Queen Redux: Teen Mom, Class and the Bad Mother" by Amanda Ann Klein
http://flowtv.org/2010/11/welfare-queen-redux/
MTV's Teen Mom deploys a straw man of the "Bad Mother," akin to the
Reagan-era welfare queen, to depict unwed, lower-class teen women in a
negative light.

"The Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear: For the Young or the Young
at Heart?" by Kelli Marshall
http://flowtv.org/2010/11/rally-to-restore-sanity/
The "Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear" held in Washington, D.C.,
drew a crowd whose demographic makeup mirrored that ofThe Daily Show
and The Colbert Report, contrary to the anticipated Millennial
presence touted by several media commentators.

"Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives, and What We Know" by
Murray Pomerance
http://flowtv.org/2010/11/uncle-boonmee/
"Can it be that we are capable of seeing?with our vast technology and
hyperstimulated imaginations?only what was once ourselves, only what
we have survived?" Thai film Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past
Lives inspires us to think about our own lives.

Interested in supporting Flow? Click HERE http://flowtv.org/about/support/

FlowTV is now on Twitter! Follow Flow's Twitter page at:
http://twitter.com/flowtv
FlowTV is also on Facebook! Get updates on your news feed by becoming
a fan: www.facebook.com/FlowTV

We look forward to your visit and encourage your comments.

Best wishes,

Flow Editorial Staff

http://www.ScreenSite.org