SCREEN-L Archives

October 2010, Week 3

From:
Scott Henderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Oct 2010 12:10:08 -0400
With apologies for any cross-posting:

CALL FOR PAPERS

Popular Culture Association of Canada

First Annual Conference, May 2011

The inaugural conference of the Popular Culture Association of Canada
will be held at the Sheraton Fallsview Hotel and Conference Centre,
Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada, Thursday May 12 - Saturday May 14, 2011.

We invite proposals for papers and panels (of 3 or 4 papers) from
scholars and students working in all areas of popular culture studies.

Our definition of popular culture encompasses communicative texts,
practices and experiences, mediated and unmediated, contemporary and
historical, Canadian and non-Canadian (including the local and the
global).

We encourage papers and/or panels on theories of popular culture,
research methods in popular culture, the teaching of popular culture,
and any epiphenomena of popular culture, past or present, which might
fit into the above definition.

Single paper proposals should consist of a title, an abstract of no
more than 250 words, and a list of keywords or key phrases (maximum
5), and should be accompanied by a brief biographical note of 100
words or less.

Panel proposals should include all of the above information for each
presenter, plus a proposed title for the panel and a brief rationale.

The deadline for proposals is January 15, 2011. The conference
organizers will endeavor to contact all potential participants by mid-
February, 2011.

Please send proposals to one of the conference co-chairs (copying  to
the others would be helpful):

Nick Baxter-Moore                                 Greg
Gillespie                              Scott Henderson
[log in to unmask]            [log in to unmask]            [log in to unmask]

(Mailing address for all three: Department of Communication, Popular
Culture & Film, Brock University, 500 Glenridge Avenue, St Catharines,
ON, L2S 3A1, Canada)

We look forward to welcoming colleagues from across Canada and parts
of the United States and beyond to Canada's honeymoon and tourist
capital and centre of a burgeoning wine industry (we plan to organize
a winery tour for those who are interested). By mid-May, the weather's
usually pretty good around here.

Dr. Scott Henderson
Associate Professor
Communication, Popular Culture and Film