SCREEN-L Archives

October 2010, Week 1

From:
Anastasia Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 2010 13:33:39 -0500
Dear ListServ Administrator:

Please post this to Screen-L. Also, please let me know if you'd like
to review the book for your listserv. Thanks!

Best wishes,
Heather Skinner, Publicist
University of Minnesota Press
111 3rd Ave S, Ste. 290
Minneapolis, MN 55401-2520
v * 612-627-1932
f * 612-627-1980
http://www.upress.umn.edu
The shockingly honest journals of the acclaimed filmmaker and gay
rights activistrt

KICKING THE PRICKS
By Derek Jarman
University of Minnesota Press | 256 pages | 2010
ISBN 978-0-8166-7450-3 | paperback | $18.95

"Derek Jarman was a genius who, like the gay artists he admired, not
only lived dangerously (that being queer) but created dangerous art.
In this time when artistic cowardice (that being marketability)
reigns, one would do well to read Kicking the Pricks." —Lambda Book
Report

"The clarity with which Derek Jarman offered up his life and the
living of it, particularly since the epiphany—I can call it nothing
less—of his illness was a genius stroke, not only of provocation, but
of grace." — Tilda Swinton

"The most engrossing book I’ve read in an age...It offers a back-room
viewof Jarman’s career as well as his musings on art and film...Jarman
is the sort of troublemaking visionary who one day may be compared
with Blake." —Time Out London

Derek Jarman (1942–1994), one of England’s foremost filmmakers, wrote
and directed many feature films, including Sebastiane, Jubilee,
Caravaggio, and Blue, as well as numerous short films and music
videos. He was a stage designer, artist, writer, gardener, and an
outspoken AIDS and queer rights activist in the UK and the United
States. His books include At Your Own Risk, Chroma, Modern Nature, and
Smiling in Slow Motion, all available from the University of Minnesota
Press.

For more information, including the table of contents, visit the
book's webpage:
http://www.upress.umn.edu/Books/J/jarman_kicking.html

Sign up to receive news on the latest releases from University of
Minnesota Press:
http://www.upress.umn.edu/mediaalert.html

Please email me if you have any questions.
—
Heather Skinner, Publicist
University of Minnesota Press
111 3rd Ave S, Ste. 290