SCREEN-L Archives

August 2010, Week 3

From:
Bob Rehak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 2010 15:48:35 -0400
Not quite on topic, and it's post-RYAN, but dirt/debris on the lens also appears in BLADE 2 following a grenade explosion in an underground fight (2002). On the commentary track, director Guillermo del Toro mentions that the debris is in fact a digital element, added in post-production, and that his aesthetic strategy with CGI often involves unexpected, nonobvious placement within the frame -- on the lens, but also tucked away in a corner of the screen, or left out of focus.

Bob Rehak
Assistant Professor
Film and Media Studies Program
Swarthmore College