SCREEN-L Archives

March 2010, Week 4

From:
"Johnson, Cathy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2010 06:22:17 -0000
Dear All

As part of research that I'm doing on television and branding, I am trying to examine the ways in which channel brands have been constructed in the interstitials flows of broadcast network television in the US, and how this has changed over the past 30 years or so. I have looked at the UCLA Film and Television Archive's off-air recordings, but these are largely taken from 6-7pm and so don't include primetime programmes.

As a Brit I don't have access to my own collection of old off-air television programmes, so I was wondering if anyone had any off-air recordings from primetime network US TV from the mid-1980s onwards which they might be able to share with me. In particular, I'm interested in the transitions between programmes and in the ad breaks.

I'm happy to pay to have copies shipped over to the UK, or it might be possible to share .avi files (or similar) over the Internet.

If you think you might be able to help, please email me off list at: [log in to unmask] I'm also at SCMS until Sunday - so speak to me here if you're around.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cathy Johnson
Senior Lecturer
Department of Media Arts
Royal Holloway, University London

----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://www.screenlex.org