SCREEN-L Archives

March 2010, Week 2

From:
"Larsson, Donald F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2010 16:47:27 +0000
See McCay's "Little Nemo in Slumberland" comics--anything but static!

There's a brief overview that cites "The Katzenjammer Kids" as establishing principles of continuity in comics by 1897 and some useful references at http://library.duke.edu/exhibits/earlycomicstrips/. Besides Scott McCloud's "Understanding Comics," which is listed on the site, it might be worth a look at Will Eisner's "Comics and Sequential Art" and "Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative."

Don Larsson

"Only connect!" --E.M. Forster

Donald F. Larsson, Professor
English Department, Minnesota State University, Mankato
Email: [log in to unmask]
Mail: 230 Armstrong Hall, Minnesota State University
        Mankato, MN 56001