SCREEN-L Archives

February 2010, Week 2

From:
warren buckland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:33:16 +0000
Adam

you could start with the recent book called *Films That Work: Industrial
Film and the Productivity of Media*, ed. Vinzenz Hediger and Patrick
Vonderau (Amsterdam University Press, 2009). The blurb on the back says
"Government-produced and industrially sponsored movies pursuing specific
social or economic goals have a rich and rewarding history ..." The book
takes both an analytical and historical approach to industrial film. And
then, of course, there is the British documentary film movement from the
1930s, whose aim was to show the general public how vital industries
worked (Coal Face, Night Mail), etc, These films have have received
extensive commentary (e.g., Ian Aitken, *Film and Reform*, 1990).

Warren

Warren Buckland
Course Leader, MA in Film Studies, Oxford Brookes University
http://ah.brookes.ac.uk/filmstudies/postgraduate/

http://www.ScreenSite.org